He’s got the winning streak in his DNA.
Yes, Kendrick Lamar was the biggest winner at the just ended MTV VMAs as he swept 6 out of the 8 nominations he secured including Video of the Year, Best Hip-Hop Video, Best Cinematography, Best Direction, Best Art Direction and Best Visual Effects Awards for HUMBLE, a smash hit single off his double-platinum album DAMN.
This year’s VMAs removed gender-based categories, making it even harder to win against the other nominees. Ed Sheeran won Artist of the Year Awards, edging out the likes of Bruno Mars, Lorde, Ariana Grande and The Weeknd. Meanwhile, Khalid brought home Best New Artist Award.
VMAs also introduced a new category this year. Best Fight Against the System Award was honored to those who reflect “the audience’s passion and activism surrounding environmental justice, immigration, LGBTQ and racial justice.”
- Song of the Summer: Lil Uzi Vert – “XO Tour Llif3”
- Video of the Year: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Artist of the Year: Ed Sheeran
- Best New Artist: Khalid
- Best Collaboration: Zayn Malik Ft. Taylor Swift – “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever”
- Best Pop: Fifth Harmony Ft. Gucci Mane – “Down”
- Best Hip-Hop: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Best Dance: Zedd Ft. Alessia Cara – “Stay”
- Best Rock: Twenty One Pilots – “Heavydirtysoul”
- Best Cinematography: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Best Direction: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Best Art Direction: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Best Visual Effects: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Best Choreography: Kanye West – “Fade”
- Best Editing: Young Thug – “Wyclef Jean”
- Best Fight Against the System: Logic Ft. Damian Lemar Hudson – “Black SpiderMan”, Big Sean- “Light”, Alessia Cara – “Scars to Your Beautiful”, Taboo Ft. Shailene Woodley – “Stand Up/Stand N Rock #NoDAPL”, John Legend – “Surefire” and The Hamilton Mixtape – “Immigrants (We Get the Job Done)”