Los Angeles County District Attorney rejected on Thursday, June 2, to file a felony case against Sean “P. Diddy” Combs for his physical encounter to UCLA football coach last month. The rejection means that the 45-year-old rapper will not be charged with a felony.
Upon learning of the D.A.’s decision, Diddy’s lawyer Mark Geragos said in a statement, “We are thankful that the District Attorney rejected Felony charges in this matter. This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with.” Previously, Geragos claimed that his client’s action was in defense as saying, “What we can say now is that any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son.”
Though the D.A. declined to file his felony case, it doesn’t mean the rapper could escape from other charges. In fact, the case has been referred to City Attorney. Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the L.A. County D.A.’s Office, said, “We referred it to the City Attorney’s Office for misdemeanor filing consideration.”
Last month, Diddy was arrested following his physical encounter with the UCLA’s strength and conditioning coach in the coach’s office. He allegedly swung a kettlebell which almost hit the coach’s assistant. The coach reportedly often gave Diddy’s son a hard time during workout session. He then obtained three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and one count each of battery and making terrorist threats. However, he was soon released from police custody after posting a bail.