British-Ghanaian record producer, disc jockey, and musician Julian Nicco-Annan, better known by his stage name Juls and Nigerian singer and songwriter Abisagboola Oluseun John, known professionally as “Bankulli” have been listed among 2,300 Recording Academy member class of 2020.
The two are noted for some of the amazing productions around the African continent and have contributed immensely to the music industry elsewhere.
An excited Juls shared a note on Twitter.
— Juls Baby (@JulsOnIt) July 9, 2020
Bankulli also posted saying
I have been invited to become a part of the new @RecordingAcademy member class, I’m honored to have an opportunity to celebrate, represent, and give back to the music and its creators. #WeAreMusic 🖤 #grammyawards pic.twitter.com/frYbduPXD5
— Bankulli ( Grammy Nominated ) (@bankulli) July 9, 2020
As part of the organization’s stated drive toward greater diversity, it notes that the 2020 class of invitees is 48% female, 21% African-American or African descent, 8% Hispanic, 3% Asian-American and Pacific Islander and 5% “other.” The Recording Academy’s current membership is 26% female and 25% from traditionally underrepresented communities, according to the announcement.
According to the academy, 79% of this year’s freshman class is being invited as potential voting members, the other 21% as (non-voting) professional members.
The class of 2020 was selected by a committee of industry peers based on exceptional contributions to the music community.
Other members include Lil Nas X, Gunna & Victoria Monet.
In order to participate in the process for the upcoming Grammy Awards, new members have to accept their invitations by Sept. 15, 2020. The first voting ballot opens Sept. 30 and closes Oct. 12. The 63rd Grammy Awards are set to take place Jan. 31, 2021, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.